photo gallery
site map
contact us
  andes coast amazon galapagos islands
about ecuador
travel in ecuador
business in ecuador
living in ecuador
about us
traveler's tools
Travel in Ecuador
General information
Planning your trip
When to go
Getting there
Places to visit
Places to stay
Places to eat
Things to do
Traveler's tools
hip.ecuador faq
visas customs what to take
money travel budget special interest groups
health various itineraries
Visas types
Your embassy in Ecuador
Ecuadorian embassies and consulates
Visit and Non Resident Visas [NON-IMMIGRANT]

Visas up to 90 days [TRANSEUNTE / VISITOR, Visa 12-X]
Ecuador welcomes tourists and travellers from every country. United States citizens travelling to Ecuador for tourism, businesses, or studies, do not require a visa unless they expect to stay in Ecuador for more than 90 days in one calendar year [ that is, 90 days adding every entry in one year ]. The only travel requirements are:

Valid passport for more than 6 months.
Return ticket [for air, land or sea travel].
Proof of economic means to support yourself during your stay in Ecuador [may be asked by Immigration authorities].

Nationals of the following countries require a visa and should approach the Consulate of Ecuador of their residence [list may change without notice]: Algeria, Bangladesh, Costa Rica, Cuba, El Salvador, Guatemala, India, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Nicaragua, Nigeria, North Korea, Pakistan, Palestine Authority, Panama, People's Republic of China, Sri Lanka, Syria, Tunisia and Vietnam.

If applying in the U.S., nationals of these countries will have to produce their valid U.S. visa or residence permit and fill out an application form [requirements listed above, plus 2 photographs].

Foreigners travelling in these conditions may not take employment in Ecuador. VISA 12-X status cannot be changed in Ecuador.
|^|to top|

Visas for more than 90 days stay
Foreign nationals planning to stay in Ecuador for more than 90 days need to apply for a visa and must present the following documents:

Valid passport for more than 6 months.
Police certificate with criminal record of the State where s/he resides.
Medical certificate.
• Return ticket [for air, land or sea travel].
• Two photographs
• Application form
Nationals of other countries applying for this type of visa in the United States must also present a valid US visa/green card.
|^|to top|

Additionally, depending on the type of visa needed, the following requirements apply:

Student visas
Certificate of course registration in an educational institution in Ecuador.
Certificate of financial solvency [either a bank deposit of a reasonable amount to cover expenses –please inquire at the Consulate of your jurisdiction- with a letter stating the intention of the bank of forwarding to the student 10% of that amount per month OR a document signed by a relative stating that the student is supported by his/her family; OR a legal and duly notarized document indicating the student receives some other type of pension].
Validity: Up to one year, renewable.
|^|to top|

Professional, technician, consultant, legal representative, or government official visas
Documents showing s/he is required to stay in Ecuador for work related purposes and that her/his stay will be supported by the company/agency.
Labour contract legalized by an Ecuadorian Labour Court.
Technical or specialized professionals or industrial training personnel need a working permit from the Ministry of Labour.
Managers, legal representatives, or executive officers, with also require a certificate from the Superintendency of Companies.
Validity: According to the appointment.
|^|to top|

Clergy, volunteer workers, and other members of religious organisations
Certificate of the religious organisation where the applicant will work in Ecuador, explaining why a foreign person is required, and a brief description of the tasks s/he will be assigned in Ecuador.
A copy of the Decree in which the Government of Ecuador authorises the organisation to work in the country.
A copy of the rules of the organisation.
A copy of the document stating the appointment of the legal representative of the organisation in Ecuador.
Validity: Two years.
|^|to top|

Cultural exchange visas
Teachers appointed to, or students participating in, exchange programmes require:
Application from the Ecuadorian authority sponsoring the student/teachers visit.
A copy of the Agreement under which the programme is carried out.
Teachers must sign a document stating that s/he will not receive any Ecuadorian funds for his/her work.
Validity: One years.
|^|to top|

Tourism, business, and other activities, for more than 90 days and up to 180 days
Foreigners who need to stay in Ecuador for over 90 days, for activities such as tourism, sports, studies, science and research, art, or business, will require:
Certificate of financial solvency to the satisfaction of the Consular Officer (either a bank letter stating the applicant’s monthly balance OR a personal guaranty of an Ecuadorian citizen or a foreigner residing in Ecuador in a duly notarised document OR a certificate stating the applicant’s income OR any other document that proves the applicant has enough funds for his stay in Ecuador).
Validity: 90 up to 180 days.
|^|to top|

Resident Visas [IMMIGRANT]
Foreign nationals may apply to settle in Ecuador and obtain the residence. Resident visas need to be approved by the Immigration Board in Ecuador, so upon correct presentation of all the documentation the process may take 4-8 weeks.

There are different categories, please inquire at the Consulate:
10 I
Retired persons who receive pensions from their native countries [pension from a stable source, at least US$ 8,000 a year].
10 II
Real estate and securities investors who are willing to invest in Ecuador the equivalent of at least 350 minimum monthly general salaries [S.M.V.G.], plus 100 SMVG per dependant, or amount specified by Consular Officer [in the U.S. at least US$ 15,000].
10 III
Investors in industry who wish to export agricultural products, livestock, or minerals, provided they bring capital the equivalent of at least 600 minimum monthly general salaries to Ecuador, or amount specified by Consular Officer [in the U.S. at least US$ 25,000].
10 IV
Companies with foreign local agents who possess unlimited power of attorney to represent the company in Ecuador, provided that 80% of the company's local personnel are Ecuadorian.
10 IV
Technicians or technical experts under contract with a company established in Ecuador.
10 V
Professionals with university degrees recognised by a national university, who wish to practice their profession in Ecuador. Should the applicant's profession not exist in Ecuador, the degree must be locally certified. The applicant must also fulfil the requirements for such practice [e.g. bar].
10 VI
Individuals economically dependent on spouses or on a blood related family member (family).
|^|to top|
   copyright © hipecuador.com
   all rights reserved
terms & conditions | privacy policy | news | search | faq/help | contacts  
Advanced search :: 
created by cafe design